A privileged location for a diversity of activities nearby
The Auvergne is an increasingly popular destination for holidaymakers. Recently ranked 6th by Lonely Planet among the best destinations, it is popular with families and people looking for authenticity and a change of scenery. Discover its many facets too!
Nature, Culture, Sport, Heritage, Know-how, History, Gastronomy… Combine as you wish!
The Château de la Bruyère en Velay is only a 5-minute walk from the centre of Montfaucon-en-Velay, which lies at an altitude of 950 m. The village has long been renowned for its air quality, and at the beginning of the 20th century it already welcomed children and adults for “air cures”. Today, the canton has developed strongly on its natural assets and proposes a diversified offer linked to nature and well-being.
- The Way of St. James and the Via Fluvia greenway run through the village, offering pleasant walks or bike rides in an evergreen hilly landscape.
- How about a massage, a herbal sauna or a panoramic view of the valley? This is what the magnificent spa Les Sources du Haut-Plateau offers in a modern and warm setting to add an intense moment of relaxation to your stay.
- For a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, you can enjoy shopping in the peace and quiet of the village’s shops, which welcome you with a smile and aim to serve you quality products: 2 bakeries, 2 butchers and delicatessens, a patisserie, a tobacconist’s, a grocer’s shop and fresh produce at the market every Wednesday.
- For a coffee, a pizza or a local meal, 5 restaurants are within a 10-minute walk. About 15 other restaurants complete the range of flavours, accessible in 10 minutes by car.
- A few steps away, in the Notre-Dame chapel, you can admire an exceptional collection of 12 Flemish paintings, representing the 12 months, painted by Abel Grimmer in the 16th century.
**** VISIT PICTURESQUE SITES ****
Discover the jewels of the preserved natural and architectural heritage of the Massif Central thanks to the many routes on offer.
- Towns and villages of character:
- Le Puy-en-Velay, a unique site in the world due to its geology made up of seven rocks, has managed to retain a human-sized charm. Its cathedral, listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, its chapel and its statue of Notre-Dame-de-France majestically dominate the town. A major departure point for the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, discover the region’s know-how and flavours in its narrow streets with their historic facades: handmade lace, AOC green Puy lentil delicacies, Velay verbena liqueur, etc…
- The fortress of Polignac and its medieval tower
- The first castles of the Loire, such as the castle of Lavoûte-Polignac or the castle of Rochebaron and its falconry, will plunge you into an exceptional moment out of time.
- The villages of Moudeyres or Bigorre with their traditional habitat; Arlempdes one of the most beautiful villages in France and the remains of its castle overlooking the wild gorges of the Loire; Saint-André-de-Chalencon and its medieval fortress, Chavaniac-Lafayette and its castle, birthplace of the famous General Marquis de Lafayette.
- Montregard, perched on a summit at an altitude of 1000 m, with, as its name suggests, a sumptuous view of the chain of volcanoes. You will discover many historical testimonies and will be able to visit the fully restored Château de Marcoux.
- Lalouvesc is rich in heritage linked to the pilgrimages of Saint Régis and Sainte Thérèse: neo-Byzantine style Basilica and its crypt, 3 chapels, museum… Contemplate the exceptional panoramas over the Alps and the Cévennes!
- Wild gorges and breathtaking 360° views
- The summit of Mount Mézenc with a view of the valleys of the Ardèche
- The Gerbier-de-Joncs mountain where the longest river in France, the Loire, has its source.
- The wild gorges of the Loire, Lignon and Allier
- A unique volcanic heritage that sculpts the landscape at every moment (rocks, peaks, sucs, organs, lakes, waterfalls…
**** ENJOY OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES ****
Take advantage of this break in the fresh air to discover or rediscover the pleasures offered by this region of unspoilt natural landscapes.
On this plateau you will never tire of contemplating the relief of the volcanic juices rounded by erosion and whose vegetation remains green during the summer.
- Walking tours :
- The ViaFluvia Greenway, the highest veloroute in Europe linking the Rhône to the Loire, passes right by the gate. This former railway line, now tarmacked, offers a gentle slope for walking, cycling or rollerblading… all sheltered from cars, which is pleasant when you have children.
- Numerous paths in the heart of the forests, along the streams and on the summits (Mont Mezenc, Lizieux, Mont Gerbier des Joncs where the Loire has its source)
- The Way of Saint James passes in front of the castle gate
- Discover wild plants or go blueberry or mushroom picking
- Numerous mountain bike and horse riding routes
- Cani-rando, or cani-trottle with sled dogs
- Acrobatic courses in the forest, recreational or health courses
- Unusual places: The Corboeuf ravine, nicknamed “the little Colorado of the Auvergne”; Mont Bar, a volcano unique in Europe, the basaltic organs of Saint-Julien-Chapteuil…
- Water sports and leisure activities:
- Swimming in a lake (Lavalette ou Devesset)
- Sailing, rowing, windsurfing, dinghy, pedal boat, …
- White water sports (kayaking, canoeing) in a preserved and protected nature
- Games and water park
- River, lake or pond fishing (trout, pike, zander…)
- Sports activities in the open air:
- Golf in a magnificent wooded and hilly setting at Chambon-sur-Lignon
- Bungee jumping
- Paragliding or hot air ballooning
- Orienteering, treasure hunts
- Putting-golf, a unique game in France
- Entertainment activities:
- Peaugres Animal Park
- The zoo and its gorillas in Saint Martin La Plaine
- Velay Express tourist train offering sumptuous views of the mountains and wild gorges
- 7 Treasure hunts to get your kids excited about going on a walk
- Summer sledging on Mont Mézenc open all year round
- The longest himalayan bridge in France
**** TASTE THE FLAVOURS OF THE LOCAL CUISINE ****
Experience a firework display of flavours! Rich in tradition, there is no shortage of specialities: goat’s and cow’s cheese, Fin Gras du Mézenc beef, mountain charcuterie, red fruit, verbena, green lentils from Le Puy, Auvergne salted meats, river trout and salmon…
Eat fresh, quality and seasonal products thanks to a short supply circuit with producers or processors, with for example :
- The many farmer’s markets
- Snacks at the farm and tasting tours
- Honey houses to discover fir or chestnut honey
Saint-Bonnet-le-Froid, the internationally renowned gastronomic village is only 10 minutes away. There is no shortage of restaurants offering truly homemade dishes in the area!
**** CHOOSE YOUR CULTURAL OUTINGS ****
See you throughout the seasons, to participate in many local festivals.
- The Renaissance festivities of the Roi de l’Oiseau in Le Puy-en-Velay will enchant the whole family. Go back in time among thousands of costumed people and life-size reconstructions.
- La Chaise-Dieu and its abbey, nestled in the heart of the Livradois Forez Regional Nature Park, host the prestigious La Chaise-Dieu Music Festival every year. Admire the tomb of Pope Clement VI and the 15th century fresco of the Dance Macabre.
- Artistic festivals for all tastes: Nuits de rêve…, Les Nuits Basaltiques, Interfolk, Festival sur Lignon, Musiques en Vivarais-Lignon, Festival Du Rire de l’Yssingelais, Country Festivals in Craponne or Saint-Agrève.
- Festival of readings: Festival des 7 lunes, Les Lectures sous l’arbre
- Temporary exhibitions at the Chavaniac Lafayette castle or at the Hôtel Dieu in Le Puy-en-Velay.
- Annonay, the birthplace of many inventors, is steeped in a rich industrial history that is recounted in its museums: the Canson and Montgolfier Paperworks Museum, the Carriage-making Museum, the Parchment and Leather Museum, the Alembic Museum and the Mariners’ Museum.
- Numerous museums retrace the rich past of this textile region: the Centre d’Enseignement de la Dentelle aux Fuseaux in Puy-en-Velay, the Musée des Manufactures de Dentelles in Retournac, the Musée d’Art et d’Industrie of the city of Saint-Etienne and its course on ribbon making.
- Need a gift or a souvenir? The CRE A FLO workshop, 10 minutes walk away, will inspire you. Florence, a creative craftswoman, exhibits her unique and original handmade creations.
If you have any special wishes, please let us know. We will be happy to book your activities (golf, horseback riding, hiking with a local guide, bike rental, massage …)